I find when I’m at the cottage I do a lot of cooking with fresh ingredients from local farm stands and farmers markets. The cottage is where I become creative with vegetables and I love the freedom that comes with cooking without a recipe! This weekend, I came up with Bacon Breakfast Tacos, which can really be made at anytime, not just for breakfast and you can make them with whatever ingredients you like or have on hand!
4 rashers of smoked bacon, cut in half
1 small sweet potato, cubed in ½ inch pieces
1 small red onion, finely chopped
Salt & pepper to taste
1 spring onion, thinly sliced
1 ripe avocado, sliced
1 medium tomato, chopped
1 lime, quartered
2 tbsp feta cheese or queso fresco
1) Place bacon in a cold frying pan and turn on medium/high heat (starting bacon in a cold pan helps slowly render fat and results in perfectly cooked crispy bacon)
2) Cook bacon until done and remove to a paper towel-lined plate
3) Wipe out excess bacon fat with paper towel and add in sweet potatoes and red onion
4) Cook for about 1 minute, then cover and turn heat to medium
5) While the potatoes are going, start heating the tortillas in a dry pan over high heat and cook until hot and flexible
6) Start building your tacos! Add bacon, sweet potatoes and onions, slices of avo, spring onions, feta and a squeeze of lime!
This recipe can be easily modified using ingredients that you love! Try adding scrambled eggs or tofu to replace the bacon! You could even try using leftover roast veg in place of the sweet potato! This is the perfect recipe if you’re in need of a fridge clear out!
Comment below and let me know if you tried these tacos and what you think!
Happy Victoria Day and all my love xx