This year the theme for the 2017 Met Gala and Metropolitan Museum of Art’s annual Costume Institute exhibition is Rei Kawakubo/Comme des Garçons: Art of the In-Between. The looks from last nights festivites were by far the most avant garde and showstopping I’ve ever seen. There were jaw dropping moments and that is the kind of fashion that energizes me and excites me! Here are my top looks!
Andrew Bolton, curator of the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s Costume Institute, said that Rei Kawakubo makes us “rethink fashion as a site of constant creation, recreation, and hybridity, she has defined the aesthetics of our time.” The plays on shape, construction, architecture and colour really made last night a night for not just fashion but the art that goes hand in hand with it. Watching the coverage made me proud to be involved in such a creative industry!
- Katy Perry makes me so happy in this breathtaking Margiela ensemble. She is the epitome of the theme and is showing respect and admiration for Rei through and through. From the headpiece, the mirrors, the tulle and the beading – this look was EVERYTHING!
- Proving that Tommy has range, Gigi looks absolutely spectacular! It’s oddly over-the-top but still understated in a way. Wearing hardly any accessories and no necklace, Tommy let the dress and theme speak for themselves. The nude hue keeps it simple and the stockings pump up the sex appeal! Gigi can pull anything off so I’m glad she really went for it this year!
- French model and actress, Aymeline Valade is one of my top picks from last night! This electric blue suit with mirrored appliques is so breathtaking. It takes major guts to attend an event like The Met Gala and not show up in a sweeping gown, so Aymeline is one of my heroes!
- This look is 100% a textbook example of taking something simple and expanding on it’s theme to push it past the norm. Priyanka Chopra is a total fashion girl and this proves it – she’s giving us leg and the boot is so on point!
- Another legendary fashion girl, Tracee knows how to stay true to herself but also to last nights theme. Wearing a constructed Comme des Garçons creation, she paid a beautiful tribute to Rei. Blue brocade works wonderfully with her skin tone and the look somehow didn’t overwhelm her figure. Two thumbs up for Tracee!
- These two make me so unbelievably happy. At first they recieved a bit of criticism for appearing to not dress on theme but upon doing some light research, they paid homage to Rei Kawakubo’s “Broken Brides” collection of Fall 2005. Mary Kate and Ashley do not need permission or approval to wear what they want to any occasion and that is why I look up to them so much. They went beyond the theme and dug into archives of Rei’s past collections to find inspiration and created their own ensembles. That is fashion and it is fabulous and fearless.
- Leave it to Rihanna to once again leave us speechless. Wearing a look straight off the Fall 2016 Comme des Garçons runway, she shut it down! Everything about this is art – the shoes, hair, makeup and obviously the architectural and beautifully put together garment. This is what the Met Gala is all about – pushing boundaries and turning fashion into wearable art.
- Model Grace Hartzel took it to another level last night wearing Dior. Keeping it simple and letting her eyes do the talking, Hartzel stayed true to the avant garde theme. Another risk taker in pants for the occasion, I love the guts it takes to be different and show the world that you don’t always have to wear a gown!
- Model Lily Aldridge wearing a simple Ralph Lauren gown, stepped it up in Balenciaga thigh high boots and pink mesh mask. The dress would have otherwise been a bit too simple but the genius styling and accessories made it so much more interesting!
- My fave girl, Lena served us glamour and fashion and I am so pleased! Lena makes everything she wears her own and is fearless when it comes to red carpet fashion! Wearing a Planned Parenthood pin on her gown takes huge guts and that’s why I look up to her so much. I’m not sure about the tartan pattern but the shape and structure of the gown is what last night was all about!
- Who could pull off a glittery cat suit better than Bella Hadid? Bodysuits have never really been done before at the Met and leave it to Alexander Wang to explore it! The scoop neckline, sheer fabric and curve hugging made this one of my faves!
- Blake stayed true to her personal style last night but wowed us with the train of this beautiful Versace! I wonder if she had some inside scoop on the colour of the carpet last night! The shade of gold works stunningly with her hair and skin tone! Blake is always one to watch!
- If La Perla started designing gowns, this is what they would look like! Kendall bares (nearly) all in this breathtaking and jaw dropping sheer gown! Sophisticated from the front and gutsy in the back, this one takes the cake!
Kendall Jenner in La Perla
I hope you enjoyed this years looks as much as I do!
Thanks for reading!